“This isn’t a push up bra, it’s body armor.
And
this ain’t makeup sweetheart, it’s war paint.”
- Iliza Shlesinger
I watched Iliza Shlesinger's comedy program, War Paint, last year and these words completely resonated with me. For a long time, I used makeup to cover myself up. I had terrible acne from grade five until about my second year of university and it was entirely embarrassing. I wasn't allowed to wear makeup until I was seventeen...so when I finally got the chance, all I wanted to do was wear a makeup mask. No it wasn't bad like you're thinking - it matched my neck and it wasn't caked on - but, the reasons I was wearing it were wrong. I wouldn't leave the house without makeup on, I wouldn't let my boyfriend see my bare face, I could barely look at myself without makeup. I used makeup to hide my ugly and it took me a really long time to realize I was beautiful without makeup on. And to be honest, some days, that's still an ongoing struggle as I'm sure it is for a lot of young girls and women. Now I try to look at makeup as something to enhance what I already have, to make my features stand out, not to cover them up. Makeup is a fantastic weapon: a pop of bright pink blush can trick you into feeling happier, a smoldering smokey eye can make you feel like a total bad-ass and a swipe of bold red lipstick can make anyone feel like a vivacious vixen. Makeup allows you to be a chameleon: from classy to bo-ho and from girly to gritty. Yeah, sometimes we need makeup to remedy certain flaws, but most of the time, makeup is transformative, instilling a confidence that we always had but just needed a reminder of. Makeup helps you be bold and brave. Put on your face to conquer the day: makeup is warpaint.
About the Author
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, cotur acing elit. Ut euis eget dolor sit amet congue. Ut vira codo matis. Sed lacia luctus magna ut sodales lorem.
0 comments